linkshomeblogaboutshopsponsor

Tuesday, March 06, 2012

From the Kitchen | Scottish Shortbread

It's made of Butter, flour, sugar, vanilla, and nothing else.  Mostly Butter. 

My great grandmother Kathrine Stuart, later Kitty Falconer, was born in the little Scottish hamlet of Pitlochry, and became a cook in a prestigious American household during the depression.

This recipe is tried and true.  And horribly difficult to keep on hand.  You better make a double batch.


-- Kitty Falconer's Shortbread --

2 1/2 C flour
1/2 lb Butter
1/2 C sugar
1 Tb vanilla

Cream Butter and sugar.  Beat till very smooth and fluffy.
Add the vanilla. Beat in half the flour.  Knead in the other half with hands till dough has no cracks.
Divide into three parts, pat and shape with palms of hands into round cakes, approx. 1/2 in thick.
Prick tops with a fork to avoid puffing!
Bake at 350 till pale golden brown.  (20-30 min)

Best stored in a waxpaper lined tin for up to a week to reach the perfect consistency... but you had better choose your hiding place carefully!

Then pour yourself a cup of tea, light a candle, and sit down to an evening of journaling by the fireside.
A newly thrifted blue and white teacup adorned with The Grand Sophy herself saucily driving away with cousin Charles' magnificent team is the perfect inspiration.

11 comments:

  1. Wow! I made Scottish shortbread a few days ago for the first time. It turned out to be quite scrumptious. I was surprised to see that one of my favorite bloggers knows about this terrific recipe too!
    Have a nice day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Gosh, but those look delicious! Scottish Shortbread is one of my all time favorites. So simple and always satisfying with their melt in your mouth tenderness!! Yum!! And it is so fun to have a true family recipe to pass along in 2012! Was the name Kellie inspired by Kittie?

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's delicious!! I can vouch for that;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds super good and super easy. I'll have to try it out.

    ~ Love, Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mmm...shortbread....
    Mom gave me some from the health food store in my Christmas stocking, and it was lovely--homemade ought to be simply divine. :-D
    *Note to self: Try out this recipe before tea party in May*

    God bless,
    ~"Wild Rose"~

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Minute I set my eyes on your posts glitter explodes throughout the atmosphere angels and fairies dance across the room the world shines rainbow colors I love your blog keep posting baby X mercury moonshine dutchess

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks so amazing!!!! I might just have to try it! Beautiful pictures. Seriously. :)) Just absolutely lovely. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks so yummy! I shall have to make some -- maybe tonight :) Thanks for sharing!

    Adieu,
    Molly

    ReplyDelete
  9. Scottish shortbread is really good! I haven't made it before though. I'll have to try out your recipe sometime. ;)

    eve @ essence of eve

    ReplyDelete
  10. lovely! :) My grandmother's mother was from Scotland (Aberdeen), and made a cookie similar almost to the T to this one. I love it! Thanks for the day brightener!

    ReplyDelete
  11. 1/2 pound is NOT 2 cups. it is 1 cup. Please correct your recipe. Thanks. I'm making it with 1/2 pound as per the photo of original recipe

    ReplyDelete

You're about to make my day! Thanks so much for leaving a comment - I absolutely love to hear from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...