linkshomeblogaboutshopsponsor

Saturday, August 31, 2013

A Summer Dance


This is the evening a pet dream of mine was at long last realized...

This is the evening we had our own contra dance.

There were balloons, and twinkling lights, and the four funny little trophies I picked up and knew were absolutely meant to be.  We made big construction paper rosettes out of my pinback button seconds pile, and they were perfect.

There was watermelon, and mason jars of tea, and at last the stars slowly appearing and starting their spiral above us to the wildly sweet sound of celtic contra music that sends toes tapping and blood racing to dance, dance and spin and stomp and swing.

It was awesome.  I felt so incredibly blessed to be surrounded by so many dear faces that evening, all reflecting the joy I felt from glorious dancing and hilarious fellowship.

The addition of trophies and ribbons for a four-division dance competition infused a huge spark and had everybody trying to outdo themselves with their mad Contra skills.  The concrete was brutal on our shoes (and legs!), but definitely didn't put a damper on the spins, leaps, aerial allemandes, and fabulous footwork we had going.

A much-coveted ribbon and trophy were awaiting the champions in Best Freestyle, Best Swing, Loudest Noise, and - wait for it - Epic.

We're definitely doing this again.

(also - no, we did not have trench coats, machetes, or firearms on the dance floor, contrary to the garb of the setup crew above.  That's another story for another time entirely...)

The presiding Judge and his inseparable companion, Airabella.



Our champion winners for the four divisions; Noise, Swing, Epic, and Freestyle!  The competition was hot, but this crew was unparalleled.


Thou hast turned for me my mourning into dancing: thou hast put off my sackcloth, and girded me with gladness; to the end that my glory may sing praise to thee, and not be silent. 
O LORD my God, I will give thanks unto thee for ever.
--Psalms 30:11-12


And to crown all, the evening in film.
Thanks to Ellen and Alex for getting such awesome footage!

24 comments:

  1. FUN! I really enjoyed this post. :) I know I've said it before, but it can't hurt to say it again. . .this is one of my favorite blogs. I'm the worst commenter in the WORLD, but I visit this lovely place frequently. Thank you for adding a bit of sunshine to my day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thanks Mich! And I contest you for that illustrious title...;D

      Delete
  2. How fun! Ok, I have to say, sing you talk in that video, you remind me so much of my 9th grade literature teacher! Looks like you all had fun :-)Alex

    tobebeautifulingodseyes.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. GAH! This looks lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That was a epic! Already looking forward to the next one :).

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a perfectly delightful evening you all had under the late summer skies of beautiful north Idaho! I love the video sharing a bit of the fun with all of us here in blog land. I am so happy that all of your plans came together for such a perfect summer eve!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Best party EVER!! :happy sigh:

    Excellent video, dear - it perfectly captures the evening:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. What fun! It looks like you all had a swell time! We have contra dances at our house sometimes... they are such a wonderful occasion for fellowship, food, and fun!
    Just out of curiosity, what were the names of the dances you were doing in the film? I teach most of the dances at our parties, and am always looking for new ones. And oh! That music is fantastic! May I ask who the artist(s) is/are?

    Blessings,

    Brigid
    The Middle Sister and Singer

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's wonderful! I'm thrilled at the comeback Contras are making.
      I can't remember all of the dances, but I know we did Jefferson and Liberty and Push the Button. The soundtrack tune is by Wild Asparagus. Isn't is great?

      Delete
    2. Oh, it certainly is! Thanks for replying to my comment, by the way! Oh, and I forgot to mention this last time: Would you mind if we maybe adapted your idea for the awards for our next dance? It's such a great idea to get people to dance and enjoy doing it.

      Blessings,

      Brigid
      The Middle Sister and Singer

      Delete
    3. Not at all! Adding awards to dances is the best thing since chocolate cake - go for it:)
      Blessings!

      Delete
  8. I can just imagine how much fun that was! Sounds like a perfect way to spend a summer evening/night.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What fun! There's nothing quite like holding a dance with special friends.

    congrats to all the winners, and great video!

    God bless,
    ~"Tom"~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have to come next time, Tom! I'm totally looking forward to it.

      Delete
  10. What an amazing time! Loved the pictures and video! Love dancing! Need to learn some more!
    I am new to your blog and really am enjoying the posts that I have read so far! I will be following you for sure! I found you through the Boyer Family Singers blog! Love them! I am so glad that I found you! ;)
    Thanks so much! And many blessings!
    ~Cassie
    calicoclodhopperrs.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, Cassie! So glad you left a note!

      Delete
  11. I LOVE. love your summer dance. I am now dying to go see you and all your lovely dance party myself at your next dance ;) My uncle lives near Sandpoint up there, and now when I go visit him I am going to HAVE to go meet your wonderful self, Kellie! I love your style about everything on this blog. Completely la di da =)
    ~ Kaylee, from faraway Vermont

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How fun, Kaylee! Definitely do let me know when you come up for a visit - thanks for stopping by:)

      Delete
  12. Looks like so much fun. We used to have a dance at least 3-4 times a year. I loved it so! Sadly, most have moved on. Which leaves me standing here tapping my toes and wishing I knew cooler people who like to dance. hehe!
    Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I know what it feels like to wish for cooler people who danced... :smile: Hang in there - there are kindred spirits yet!

      Delete
  13. P.S.
    You have been Tagged!
    http://hiddenorchards.blogspot.com/2013/09/release-of-christmas-at-tittletons.html

    ~"TWR"~

    ReplyDelete
  14. The video is so much fun to watch; lovely music, too. It somehow reminds me of my own relatives...

    ReplyDelete

You're about to make my day! Thanks so much for leaving a comment - I absolutely love to hear from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...